School Counseling

Guidance and Counseling Department
Direct Line: 757-648-4511
Fax Line: 757-437-6379

Course Expungement Resources

Counseling Staff

Title Name Direct Extension Area of Responsibility
Counseling Department Chair Victoria Lang 84510 AVID, 504
School Counselor Jason Brooks 84512 Grade 8 Gators, Wolverines, Panthers
School Counselor Cindy Dull 84513 Grade 7 Red Hawks, Tartans, Tigers
School Counselor Ebony Granby 84514 Grade 6 Bulldogs, Yellow Jackets, Golden Knights, Lions
Counseling Office Associate Angelina Reyes 84511 Student Records, Registrations and Withdrawals, Shared Housing, Out of Zone, Project Hope

VBCPS Counseling Mission Statement

The mission of the Virginia Beach City Public Schools Middle School Counseling Program is to partner with parents, community, faculty and staff to provide a comprehensive, developmental counseling program addressing the academic, career, and personal/social development of all students thus preparing them with the knowledge and skills to be productive members of society.

High School Credit Bearing Courses

Procedure for Purging/Expunging Grades for Middle School Students Taking High School Credit-Bearing Courses:
  1. The parent/legal guardian of a middle school student taking a high school credit-bearing course(s) may request that the grade for such course or courses be purged from the student's transcript and that the student not earn high school credit for the course. The request must be presented for consideration no later than July 15th after the completion of the student’s 8th grade year. EXCEPTION: In a sequential program such as a foreign language where one course must precede the next, students who choose to purge or expunge the credit from a lower level course after successfully completing the higher level(s) of the course will not be permitted to do so without expunging all subsequent courses in that sequence.
  2. Once the principal receives a request for the purging of such grade and credit, the student's permanent transcript will be altered so that the course, grade and credit are not reflected.
  3. A student dropping a course pursuant to this subsection is still required to meet the prescribed graduation requirements set forth in School Board Policy 5-30 and School Board Regulation 5-30.1; where a course has been dropped, a course fulfilling the graduation requirement must be successfully completed at the middle school or high school level.
  4. Students who have a grade purged from their record, but who pass the related end-of-course SOL test, will not be required to retake the SOL test to earn verified credit if they successfully repeat the related course.

Counseling Links

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I Enroll a New Student?
  • Please come to the Counseling Office and bring the following required items:
  • If your child has been receiving special services, please bring their current IEP or 504 plan so we can properly place your child. Other items that may be required during the time of enrollment are Custody Papers, Shared Housing, and/or Out of Zone documentation. Proof of residence into the Corporate Landing Middle School zone: Lease Agreement/Rental Contract, Title Deed, or Mortgage Booklet/Statement
    • Current Utility Bill (Gas, Electric, Water Only or deposit receipt for recent utility start-up).
    • Official Birth Certificate
    • Social Security Card
    • Immunization Record with proof of T-dap booster (T-dap booster is required by the state of Virginia).
    • Withdrawal papers and grades from previous school.
    • Previous school mailing address, phone number and fax number to request student record.
    • Two current emergency contact phone numbers.
    • Please call the counseling office to schedule an enrollment appointment at 757-648-4511.
How do I withdraw my child?

Please notify the Counseling Office at (757) 648-4511 at least three days prior to student’s last day of attendance, if possible. By calling the counseling office, this will allow us to get all the necessary paperwork needed for your child to be enrolled into another school.

How is a student referred to the program?

Students may be referred to the counselor by parents, teachers, administrators, or peers, or they may self-refer.

What does the program provide students?
  • Assists students in their educational, career, personal, and social development.
  • Helps students resolve problems which interfere with learning.
  • Facilitates educational and career planning.
  • Increases knowledge of self and others.
  • Supports students with specific needs.
  • Offers crisis intervention and prevention.
What does the program provide parents?
  • Facilitates a home/school partnership in fostering school success.
  • Provides support for parents regarding their child/s educational development.
  • Shares information with parents to help clarify and/or solve student and/or school-related problems.
  • Protects the privacy of information shared by parents and students
  • Assists parents in refining parenting skills.
  • Coordinates school/community services regarding specific needs of students.
What can you as a parent do to help your child succeed in school?
  • Provide an appropriate study environment at home.
  • Establish fair and reasonable expectations.
  • Take time to listen to your child.
  • Maintain communication with teachers, counselors, and other school personnel.
  • Participate in school activities.
  • Help your child establish realistic career and educational goals.
  • Celebrate your child’s successes and recognize that mistakes or failures can be turned into positive experiences.